We used to associate back pain with adults and old people but did you know that even a kid as young as 7 can complain of back pain? One of the myths that needs to be debunked is that back pain only occurs in grownups. Back pain can happen to any age. Ironically, 75% causes of back pain are not known or unidentified. Only 25% causes are identifiable which are defects to the bone, muscle disorder or injury, cancer patients, stones along the urinary system or kidney and incorrect postures. Psychological factors such as stress may also cause back pain and needs back pain relief high point nc.
Back pain is defined as any discomfort or pain at the back, usually the lower back. The pain can last from days to even weeks. It is possible for back pain to fully improve after a few weeks or occasionally comes back once in a while. It can be quite frustrating to have this condition for a long time as it may interfere with daily life routine. Here are some tips on how to ease back pain by yourself:
- Know yourself more. You cannot heal yourself if you do not know this pain character yourself. Studying the pattern of the pain through what makes it better or worse, can help you identify what you should do or not do to reduce pain.
- Take painkillers. If you have gastric issues or often have an upset stomach, you can ask a pharmacist or doctor for painkillers that are less irritative for the stomach.
- Use cold packs or cold patches to the affected area to reduce pain and swelling. Make sure to wrap the ice pack with a towel and avoid direct contact with the ice as it can cause other skin concerns.
- Use a heat pack to the affected area to help loosen the stiff joint or muscle cramps.
- Do exercises and stretches regularly. Search for videos as guidance.
- Keep moving. Seriously, it won’t help to just stay in bed all day or sit on a chair for a long period. Get up and walk around every few hours.
- Invest in a good mattress. Mattress can be quite expensive and some might think why buy it when you can buy a cheaper one. Your back would thank you eternally if you sleep on a mattress that can support your spine well. A good mattress should be medium to firm.
- Learn to de-stress. Beside emotional distress, stress has been shown to cause physical pain such as back pain. Practising relaxation techniques can help reduce muscle tension due to psychological stress. Practising mindfulness helps to distract yourself from being in a stressful state and the pain you felt.
- Pay attention to body posture. Correct body posture helps with better blood flow to the nerve and blood vessels while supporting muscle and connective tissues such as tendons and ligaments.
- Safe lifting and carrying. Try to squat first and make sure the heavy thing you are trying to carry is close to your body before standing up. Ask for others to help or use other equipment such as trolleys if you are unable to handle it.
However, if the back pain has not subsided or becomes worse over time, you should arrange an appointment with physicians to help find the root of the problems. Likewise, if you have back pain with high fever, losing weight for no apparent reasons, swelling or lumps at the back or back pain not improved with rest, you should go to the closest clinic for further investigation. Moreover, for back pain with difficulty to urinate, uncontrolled urinate or defecate, sudden pain or weakness in both legs or chest pain, get yourself to the emergency department (ED) as fast as you can. These can be serious conditions and need fast interventions or treatments in the hospital.